ArtAboveReaity is an art consulting firm focused on providing professional art services to private individuals, and corporations as well as exhibiting scholarly contemporary art globally. We assist in primary and secondary market art acquisitions for beginning collectors, investment opportunities and evaluation of existing collection(s). We act as an extension of the client providing strategy based on their personal goals protecting their interests while preserving their privacy. ArtAboveReality is based in Los Angeles.
Badir McCleary is an independent consultant. He holds a M.A. in Arts Business from Sotheby’s Institute of Art (Los Angeles/London) where he focused on creating art markets and with an undergraduate degree in Internet Computing from Cabrini University focusing on e-commerce and digital trends. Badir enjoys working with artists and consider them crucial to informing his practice. Having extensive contemporary art history knowledge and experience, Badir is able to tackle large projects with confidence, protecting and tracking deliverables and ensuring high level success for clients. In 2015, Badir was the Co-Owner and Director of Gallery 38 (Los Angeles), a project that produced exhibitions for emerging artists of color in South Los Angeles and helped contribute to several public projects globally, helping artists transform communities through visual aesthetics.
Badir created the art review and critique web space ArtAboveReality.com to focus on the rising street art movement, artists of color in contemporary art, and essays on artistic culture. Through dialogue and research, he hopes to educate artists on a growing cultural marketplace simultaneously introducing underrepresented neighborhoods to fine art programming. Badir and his curatorial work has been featured in LA Weekly, WhiteWall and Artillery Magazine(s). Badir also volunteers as an advocate for Americans for the Arts as a California delegate through Sotheby’s Institute. In addition to curation, Badir is also a freelance journalist and photographer with recent work being included in Kenny Scharf: In Absence of Myth by G. James Daichendt.
- What Are We Shining Light On? Hank Willis Thomas debuts “An All Colored Cast” at Kayne Griffin Corcoran in Los Angeles January 27, 2020
- Metropolis: A Snapshot of Art Making in Los Angeles curated by Badir McCleary November 12, 2019
- Stories of Preservation and Progress As A Healing Mechanism at The Garifuna International Film Festival May 23, 2019
- Soul of A Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power 1963-1983, A Research and Review Essay April 13, 2019
- Frieze Art Fair makes it’s Los Angeles debut with exciting projects alongside fair programming at Paramount Studios February 19, 2019