ArtAboveReality is pleased to present “Metropolis: A Snapshot of Art Making in Los Angeles” is set to open at Bruce Lurie Gallery on November 16th, 2019 featuring a collection of new works by eighteen Los Angeles based contemporary artists across multiple practices. This exhibition is curated by Badir McCleary and dedicated to the loving memory of former California African American Museum curator Vida L. Brown. What really defines living and working as an artist in Los Angeles? “Metropolis” takes an anthropological and sociological view on art practice in the city.
Artists In The Exhibition:
Chelle Barbour, Sharon Barnes, April Bey, Steven Cogle, Adrienne DeVine, Charles Dickson, June Edmonds, Al-Baseer Holly, Pamela Smith-Hudson, Overton Loyd, Man One, Michael Massenburg, Norman “NOMZEE” Maxwell, Sam Pace, Duane Paul, Wayne Perry, Miles Regis, and Jamaal “Hasef” Tolbert.
“Metropolis: A Snapshot of Art Making in Los Angeles” is located at Bruce Lurie Gallery (@bruceluriegallery) 2736 S. La Cienega Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90048. Stay updated with ArtAboveReality on Instagram (@ArtAboveReality) via the hashtags #ArtAboveReality, #MetropolisLA. Also visit us at https://www.artabovereality.com. Show imagery available upon request. All images are subject to copyright. Artist approval must be granted prior to reproduction.
The exhibit will be on view to the public November 16th through December 14th, 2019 during normal gallery hours. Download The Press Release. Please visit https://www.luriegallery.com/ or contact email@example.com for more information. View Event on Eventbrite for Tickets!
Badir McCleary Editor in Chief
Badir McCleary is an independent consultant. He holds a M.A. in Arts Business from Sotheby’s Institute of Art (Los Angeles/London) where he focused on creating art markets and with an undergraduate degree in Internet Computing from Cabrini University focusing on e-commerce and digital trends. Badir enjoys working with artists and consider them crucial to informing his practice.
- What Are We Shining Light On? Hank Willis Thomas debuts “An All Colored Cast” at Kayne Griffin Corcoran in Los Angeles January 27, 2020
- Metropolis: A Snapshot of Art Making in Los Angeles curated by Badir McCleary November 12, 2019
- Stories of Preservation and Progress As A Healing Mechanism at The Garifuna International Film Festival May 23, 2019
- Soul of A Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power 1963-1983, A Research and Review Essay April 13, 2019
- Frieze Art Fair makes it’s Los Angeles debut with exciting projects alongside fair programming at Paramount Studios February 19, 2019