On Reality Talks, we speak with working artists and arts professionals on navigating the art world. Through introspective conversation, our guests provide knowledge on the market, public projects and the artistic process. For our opening episode we had the pleasure of interviewing Jane Golden, the Executive Director of The Mural Arts Program of Philadelphia. We talked about her start with Mural Arts, how murals have shaped civic responsibility and the challenges that she faces being an Arts Executive.
Guest: Jane Golden, Executive Director, has been the driving force of Mural Arts Philadelphia (Mural Arts), overseeing its growth from a small city agency into the nation’s largest public art program and a model for community development and restorative justice across the country and around the globe. Under Golden’s direction, Mural Arts has created over 4,000 works of public art through innovative collaborations with community-based organizations, city agencies, nonprofit organizations, schools, the private sector, and philanthropies.
Interviewer: Badir McCleary is an independent curator and advisor in Los Angeles. He holds a MA in Arts Business from Sotheby’s Institute of Art, London with an undergraduate degree in Internet Computing from Cabrini University. In 2013, Badir created the art review and critique web space ArtAboveReality.com to focus on the Black and Latino artists in the Art Market. Through dialogue and research, he hopes to educate and introduce collectors to trends and strategies to help build valuable collections. Badir was the Director of Gallery 38 (Los Angeles), a project that produced exhibitions for emerging artists of color in South Los Angeles and helped contribute to several public projects globally, helping artists transform communities through visual aesthetics. Subscribe via iTunes Here
Subscribe via iTunes Here
Badir McCleary Editor in Chief
Badir McCleary is an independent consultant. He holds a M.A. in Arts Business from Sotheby’s Institute of Art (Los Angeles/London) where he focused on creating art markets and with an undergraduate degree in Internet Computing from Cabrini University focusing on e-commerce and digital trends. Badir enjoys working with artists and consider them crucial to informing his practice.
- What Are We Shining Light On? Hank Willis Thomas debuts “An All Colored Cast” at Kayne Griffin Corcoran in Los Angeles January 27, 2020
- Metropolis: A Snapshot of Art Making in Los Angeles curated by Badir McCleary November 12, 2019
- Stories of Preservation and Progress As A Healing Mechanism at The Garifuna International Film Festival May 23, 2019
- Soul of A Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power 1963-1983, A Research and Review Essay April 13, 2019
- Frieze Art Fair makes it’s Los Angeles debut with exciting projects alongside fair programming at Paramount Studios February 19, 2019